I really think I need to bring up peanut butter cookies.
I don' t know if these are on anyone else's comfort food list?
But no matter how many fancy schmancy desserts I find (or make),
Plain old peanut butter cookies always seem to stay at the tip top of my very favorites.
-Nostalgic. These always take me back to 12-year-old Ashley whipping up cookies for my brothers after school :)
-Simple. I know that lots of people want triple-death-by-chocolate-overload-t0-the-max when they're looking for some lovin' from the oven. But not me. I just want something I can mix up without much thought. I actually love to stir these by hand without the trusty kitchen-aid. Part of the comfort for me comes from the whole creation process, not just the tasty outcome!
-Delicious. Yeah, this one goes without saying. I just wanted to make sure you knew. These are dang good. Do a test. Make a batch & give them to your friends, but don't them they're gluten free/ vegan until AFTER they rave about the goodness ;) I bet they'll be surprised.
Oh yeah, you want the recipe right?
Peanut Butter Cookies
(I made you a printable version.)
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance vegan butter (or Spectrum shortening)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/2 cups gf flour blend (I love Bob's Red Mill)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp xanthan
- organic cane sugar
- in a small bowl whisk together flour, soda & xanthan and set aside
- with electric mixer combine all other ingredients and mix until smooth
- slowly mix in dry ingredients
- roll dough into balls and roll in cane sugar
- flatten cookies with palm or use fork to make traditional cross marks
- bake at 375 for 6-8 minutes
Well, there you have it.
My thoughts on comfort food.
By the way, this recipe won me a front page feature at The Flaming Vegan.
Have you hear of it?
You can add your favorite bloggers and vote for the posts you'd like to see featured!!
I would love for you to check it out and add me to your blogger list.
I'll be posting new recipes there before they even show up here so you'll be like VIP ;)
So what are your comfort foods?