Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Gluten free flour: A lesson & a recipe.

The most difficult part of gluten free baking is finding a good flour mixture. You can have fabulous flavor but if your cookie just crumbles into dry pieces, who will eat it? Or you can have a moist, fluffy cupcake... that tastes like cardboard. Probably going to have a hard time earning fans with that too. I've learned that it all depends on the flour. For example: Yesterday inspiration hit me hard. I saw these gorgeous mocha swirl cookies on pinterest and I had to make them asap.






These really aren't a beginner recipe. You start by mixing up a 'from scratch' dough, divide it and flavor each parts separately, flatten, chill and roll it all up. But I wasn't scared. I was inspired, remember? I just had a good feeling... and a craving for a coffee, cookie, chocolate trifecta. So I went to town and I subbed my favorite go-to gluten free flour mix for the 3 cups of regular flour. It seemed a little crumbly but I just added a little soy milk. Soy milk makes everything better, yeah?

Let's just cut to the chase. This story does not have a happy ending. Do not make these cookies with a high protein gluten free flour mixture.


Photobucket

Don't worry, I'm kidding. I don't feed poor Milo cookie dough. He's just big boned, ok? And next time I try this recipe I'll use a flour mixture that works awesome in my favorite shortbread recipe. It's a much lighter, starchier mix that is perfect for rolled out cookies!

It's pretty simple:
4 parts Tapioca Starch
3 parts Brown Rice Flour
1 part Potato Starch

Happy Baking :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...