I looooooooove banana bread.
Ok it's actually not a secret at all.
Banana walnut muffins.
Banana blueberry bread.
Giant banana chocolate chip muffins with streusel topping (the only way Hunter will touch them).
I honestly think I could eat banana bread in some form every single morning for breakfast.
I can not afford a whole new wardrobe and I would prefer not to buy one 2 sizes larger anyway...
So I went searching (pinteresting) for a healthier version and found this bad boy.
Banana bread with NO sugar and NO oil...
I'll tell you what. I was skeptical.
But I'll try anything once. Seriously, anything.
Once I had an oyster on the half shell and nearly gagged it right back up in fancy restaurant.
But that's beside the point... and embarrassing... so we'll move on.
To my modified version of these fabulous muffins that came in around 125 cals and less than 2 grams of fat each :)
So you can eat them EVERY day. Hurray!
No Sugar or Oil Banana Muffins. Say What!?!
(makes 12-15 muffins)
2 cups gluten free flour mix
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp xanthan gum1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup agave nectar
1 tsp vanilla
2 TB flax + 6 TB warm water
3 overripe bananas, mashed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease a muffin pan.
- Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt; set aside.
- Also combine flax and water in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine applesauce, agave, and vanilla. Stir in flax mixture and mashed bananas; mix well.
- Add flour mixture and stir just until combined.
- Stir in anything your heart desires... Or a little of everything if you're like me and your heart desires chocolate chips, walnuts, blueberries and cinnamon :)
- Pour into prepared muffin pan and bake for 15-20 minutes.